- Personal Information means any information that, when used alone or combined with other personal or identifying information, can be used to identify an individual, family, or household.
- Third Parties means vendors, agents, contractors, or affiliates that provide products and/or service(s) to, on behalf of, or at the direction the Company.
- You means any Company customer, applicant for Company goods and/or services, website visitor, or mobile application user.
Who We Are
The Company consists of several companies. Public utility commissions regulate the utility operations of some of these companies, including: Dominion Energy South Carolina, Inc., whose utility operations are regulated by the South Carolina Public Service Commission; and Public Service Company of North Carolina, Incorporated, whose utility operations are regulated by the North Carolina Utilities Commission. The other related company to which this policy applies, Dominion Energy Southeast Services, Inc., is not regulated by a public utility commission.
- The Information We Collect
- Information That You Give Us
The Company is committed to collecting only the information that is necessary to provide goods and services to You or to comply with applicable law. We receive, store, and process information, including Personal Information, that You make available to us based on our business relationship (or our potential business relationship) with You, by using or accessing our website or other online services, or by accessing one of our mobile service applications.
- The information You provide to us when You initiate service from us, such as your name, address, phone number, email address, and Social Security Number;
- Information we use in making decisions to offer You products and services, including: Social Security number; employment information; income, account balances and payment history; and credit history and credit scores;
- Billing and payment information You provide to our third-party payment processor in order to pay for goods or services, including your financial information (such as bank account and/or credit/debit card numbers), and Social Security Number;
- Information You provide to determine eligibility or participate in certain utility programs or services;
- Information used to visit, register for, manage, or access your online account, such as your Company account number, name, address, phone number, email address, and other unique identifiers such as a username and password;
- Information You provide in any form on our website, mobile applications, or otherwise, including but not limited to, signing up for outage alerts, signing up for bill notifications, or authorizing another person on your Company account;
- Information You give us when You communicate with the Company and/or any of its representatives;
- Information You give us when You respond to surveys or participate in promotions;
Phone number(s) to which we will send text messages relating to the services You receive from the Company. We will only use the mobile number(s) You have provided to us to transmit service information to You via text message, unless You have given us prior written consent to provide marketing information to You via text message. Please notify the Company in the event your contact information changes, including any telephone number and/or email address. Please remember that standard messaging and data rates may apply according to your specific wireless plan or prepaid arrangement with your wireless carrier. You may revoke your consent to receive text messages.
- Information We Get from Your Use of Our Website or Mobile Apps
- Your visits to the Company's website or mobile apps
We collect information about visits to our website and use of mobile applications, such as the number of visitors and the number of users that click on certain links or use certain services. For some purposes, such as rate analysis, we link usage information with the customer visiting the website. We use industry standard software to create summary statistics of the data we collect, which may then be used to highlight what our visitors find interesting, to improve website design and usability, to identify system performance issues, or for other internal purposes. We may use information about your location when You use certain features on our website, such as our Outage Map.
- Log data
We receive information that is automatically recorded by our servers when You visit our website or use our mobile applications, including your Internet Protocol (“IP”) Address. An IP address is a number automatically assigned to your computer every time you browse the Internet. When You visit the website, our servers log your current IP address. We may use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our servers and to administer the website. We also use IP addresses to provide localized content to You on our website, which is related to your geographic region. Your IP address is not associated with your Personal Information and we do not use it to identify You when logging IP address data. Our mobile applications may collect certain information automatically,
including, but not limited to, the type of mobile device You use, your mobile device’s unique device ID, the IP address of your mobile device, your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browsers You use, and information about the way You use an application.
similar technologies on our website or online services for the purpose of providing targeted advertisements to You about programs or services that we offer. As a result, when You use or visit the website, You will provide or make available certain information to us and to our business partners.
The data we collect about website usage from cookies is not tied to your Personal Information and is only used in an aggregated form for the purposes of our own customer support, analytics, research, and improving our website. When You use features on our websites, the cookie is associated with your Personal Information in order to provide You with a more convenient experience. We do not sell or transfer the data we obtain from cookies for any purpose other than to evaluate website usage, improve your online experience, provide services to You, or offer programs and/or services that You may be interested in.
You can limit the collection of certain website information by deleting or disabling cookies. Most Internet browsers allow You to erase cookies from your computer hard drive, block all cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Disabling cookies may prevent You from using specific features on our sites and other websites, such as ordering products or services and maintaining an online account.
At any time, You may choose not to provide your Personal Information or you may choose to discontinue your use of our website. However, if You choose to “opt-out” of providing Personal Information, we may not be able to provide the information or services You desire. Note also that even if You choose not to have an online account with us, we will still store some of your Personal Information in our billing system if You are our customer. If You choose not to provide Personal Information to us, we may be unable to provide You service or complete your transaction.
It is also the Company’s expectation that users of our websites and related electronic services will refrain from using language or email addresses which could be considered offensive, slanderous, in violation of any laws or of any person’s rights or in a manner that is contrary to acceptable business practices or etiquette. The Company reserves the right in its sole discretion to discontinue providing any or all electronic services to users of our websites or of our mobile applications.
Targeted Communications on Social Media Sites
We use social media sites like Facebook and Twitter to communicate with You about our programs and services. You can follow us on these social media sites to receive regular updates. These sites also allow us to target ads to You using the information they maintain about You, even if You do not specifically follow us on their site. We may target ads to You using information such as cookies, pixels, zip codes, and interests.
You may be able to disable some or all of the advertising directed to You on a social media site by adjusting your privacy settings on that site. Please see our “Social Media Guidelines” located on Our websites for more information.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use your information to provide the services You request and to support our business functions.
For example, we may use your information to:
How We May Share the Information We Collect With Third Parties
- Fulfill your requests and communicate with You about those requests;
- Help You quickly find and/or receive information about the Company or one of its affiliated companies;
- Register, establish and service your account;
- Provide customer service;
- Alert You to our updated information and services and provide more complete services and website content;
- Improve the content of our websites for your use;
Protect the security of our websites and our business.
We may disclose Personal Information to Third Parties in certain circumstances, such as:
Aggregate or Generic Information
- in order to provide You with services or to complete transactions requested by You, or by others directed by you;
- with the Company’s subsidiaries and affiliates, unless prohibited by law or regulation;
- to Third Parties and/or service providers who are providing the product(s), service(s), or information You requested. These Third Parties are not allowed to use your Personal Information except for the purpose of providing these product(s) and/or services;
- to Third Parties who are providing service(s) to the Company or its subsidiaries or affiliates (for example, Third-Parties performing credit card processing, credit reporting agencies, electronic bill payment services, or debt collection services). These companies are authorized to use your Personal Information only as necessary to provide these services to us. In some instances, these Third Parties may collect Personal Information directly from You, rather than by means of the Company providing that information;
- to Third Parties who perform activities at the direction of the Company. Such activities include, but are not limited to, solicitation of product(s) or services, or conducting of market research. These Third Parties are not allowed to use your Personal Information except for the purpose of performing activities expressly approved by the Company;
- undergoing business transitions; in the event the Company experiences a business transition, such as a merger or acquisition, or selling a portion of its assets, Personal Information will, in most instances, transfer as part of that business transition;
- when the Company has formed a good-faith belief that disclosure of information is necessary to protect the rights and property of the Company, and/or its affiliates or other Company customers;
- assisting emergency responders in situations of immediate threat to life or property;
- when allowed or required by law or regulation or when our legal counsel has a good-faith belief that a warrant, subpoena or court order requires the disclosure; or
with your consent.
We use reasonable information security safeguards and techniques to protect the information You provide. When You submit sensitive information (such as Personal Information) to the Company via our website, the information is protected both during transmission and in storage. The Company uses prevailing information technology industry practices to protect Personal Information from loss, misuse, alteration, and destruction. Such measures include the use of firewalls, encryption, and communications security (e.g. secure socket layers) to protect sensitive information received. In some areas of our website, we require a user ID and password to access certain information. To protect information off-line, access to the information You provide is limited to those who specifically need it to
conduct their business responsibilities. Your information is stored on secure servers protected inside controlled facilities.
Unfortunately, no information can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure, so we cannot give an absolute assurance the information You provide to us will be secure at all times.
The Company does not have any responsibility whatsoever for the secure and effective operation of a) your computer systems (including but not limited to desktops, laptops, handheld devices, and networks), or b) any software installed on your computer systems, that You use to access our online services, our social media platforms, our mobile applications, and any Company services. Please employ and apply reasonable security practices to any computer system or software You use to connect to our website, to interact with us on our social media platforms, or to access our mobile applications, including:
- Protect your password as described below;
- Maintain (via updates and patches) the most current versions of your computer systems, including your operating system, software, web browsers, and browser plug-ins;
- Install and update anti-virus software on all of your devices and computer systems;
- Do not click on suspicious links, or open attachments from mysterious senders, and beware of email messages or websites requesting your Personal Information;
- Browse the internet securely.
- Please note that the Company will not ask you to send us, via email or text message, or on any social media platform, sensitive Personal Information.
The Company does not disclose passwords to Third Parties; however, You are also responsible for maintaining the privacy and security of your account number, user ID, and password. We strongly urge you to guard the confidentiality of your user name and password. Do not give your password to anyone, especially if asked to do so in an email or a phone call. Do not share your user name and password with any third party or any third party services, or use your password with any other website. Your password is your first line of defense against unauthorized access to your account. If your password is compromised, your information can be misused. Please take precautions to protect your password. If You believe your password has been compromised, please contact us immediately.
For convenience, we offer You the ability to link to and view pages of websites not operated or controlled by the Company (e.g., weather and financial information). You should be able to tell You have linked to a non-Company website because we inform You with appropriate notice or the link launches a separate webpage. The Company and its subsidiaries do not monitor or control the content or the privacy practices of these non-Company websites and are therefore not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of linked external websites. When using a link to a non-Company website, we recommend You review the privacy practices and policies of the external website.
Obtaining and Correcting Information
If You wish to know the Personal Information we have collected from You through your use of our website or otherwise, or if You believe we have obtained inaccurate information about You, please contact us using the information provided in the "Contact Information" section below.
Please notify the Company in the event your contact information changes, including any telephone number and/or email address.
Opting-Out of Certain Communications from Us
In some cases, we may contact you to let You know about new products or services that may be of interest to You. If You do not wish to be contacted by us for this purpose, You may “opt-out” of receiving such information by contacting us using the information in the "Contact Information" section below.
Marketing emails You receive from us include an unsubscribe instruction (usually found at the bottom of the email) that You may use to opt out of receiving future marketing-related emails.
If You enroll in the Outage Reporting Text Messaging service, You may opt-out by sending STOP to any text message you receive or to the short code (467234).
You may opt-out of receiving push notifications through our mobile applications. Either select the option to ‘not allow’ on the notification prompt the first time you open the app, or if notifications are already enabled, disable them for the app through Settings on your mobile device. Opting-Out of Certain Sharing of Your Information (Nevada Residents Only)
Effective October 1, 2019, Nevada law gives consumers in Nevada the right to restrict certain businesses from selling certain personal information to unaffiliated third parties if those third parties will license or sell such personal information to additional third parties.
If you are a Nevada resident and wish to exercise this right, please contact us using the information provided in the “Contact Information” section below.
California Residents’ Rights
California law provides specific privacy rights to California residents as detailed in our Privacy Notice for California Residents. If you are a California resident and you have questions about your rights, please visit www.dominionenergy.com/california-privacy-rights
Toll-Free Telephone: 1-855-211-2315
220 Operation Way
Cayce, SC 29033-3701
Attention: Corporate Privacy Office (MC C211)
This Policy is effective on January 1, 2020 and was last updated on December 30, 2019